Eric Roberge is the Founder and and Kali Roberge is the COO of Beyond Your Hammock, a fee-only independent financial planning firm based out of Boston that serves professional clients in their 30s and 40s. They stop by the show today to share how they have grown their business from scratch almost 9 years ago.
Listen in as we discuss why they chose to focus on a younger clientele with high incomes, what it’s like working with your spouse, and what the very first role they hired for was, including all the details on how they integrated that person into the firm. They also share their tips for new planners on how to add value to their employers early on, what they look for when it comes to job seekers, and what some of the biggest lessons they learned from hiring their first employee were. If you are a new planner seeking to join a small firm where you might be one of the first hires, this is an episode for you!
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- All about Beyond Your Hammock. (2:15)
- What it’s like to work with your spouse. (6:10)
- Why they hired an Associate Planner. (9:10)
- When they knew it was time to make their first hire. (11:10)
- Tips for firm owners looking to hire and job seekers looking to be hired. (12:50)
- What the first year with the new hire has been like. (16:20)
- How they got comfortable bringing somebody new into the business. (20:45)
- What they would like to see from more job seekers. (23:30)
- The biggest lesson they learned with their first hire. (26:30)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“Have your workflows documented before you hire.” - Kali Roberge Click To Tweet “If you can communicate and you connect in your personal life and you have skillsets that complement each other in your business life, there’s definitely an opportunity there to make it work.” - Eric Roberge Click To Tweet “There’s a difference between getting your CFP and actually applying that knowledge in a real-life circumstance.” - Eric Roberge Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Eric Roberge: LinkedIn
- Kali Roberge: LinkedIn
- Ep #03: Career Options For a CFA Charterholder with Mario Nardone
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.