Mario Nardone is a partner at East Bay Financial Services, where he focuses on the investment-related aspects of advisors' planning practices so they can focus on their clients and growing their businesses. Today he joins the show to share how he got into the profession, what made him decide to join an investment company straight out of school, and how he differentiated himself from other candidates from other schools.
Listen in as Mario opens up about choosing to pursue the CFA designation, as well as what he attributes to propelling his career forward. You will learn how he secured a position at a fee-only registered investment advisor and what he looks for when making hires. If you are considering a career more geared toward investment management, don't miss this episode!
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Mario got into the financial services industry. (2:00)
- How long he stayed with Vanguard before moving on. (3:58)
- The money he made at his first position. (5:12)
- The importance of networking. (7:13)
- Why Mario chose to pursue the CFA designation. (9:26)
- An overview of the CFA process. (12:11)
- Why Mario didn’t branch into comprehensive financial planning. (20:05)
- What characteristics he looks for when making hires. (24:37)
- Advice for anyone looking to get into financial planning. (26:50)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“If you don’t have a background in the industry already, consider a company that has a training program that can give you a good indoctrination into the business.” - Mario Nardone Click To Tweet “You should always do the best job possible in the role that you're in, even if it’s not where you want to be in a year.” - Mario Nardone Click To Tweet “It’s about aptitude and attitude—a willingness to learn, a willingness to be open. Come to the table with new ideas and great thoughts.” - Mario Nardone Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Mario Nardone: LinkedIn
- Caleb Brown: LinkedIn | Twitter
- East Bay Financial Services
- New Planner Recruiting
- Successful Hiring for Financial Planners: The Human Capital Advantage by Caleb Brown
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.