Ryan Rasmussen is a Trust and Estates Coordinator for the University of Georgia, and he joins the shows today to share his story of how he became a financial planner. If you are seeking a career path outside of one of the main points of entry into the profession, this is an episode you won’t want to miss!
Listen in as Ryan shares his career journey, from his start in the Certified Financial Planner (CFP) program to his current role as an academic financial counselor at the University of Georgia. You'll hear about his experiences of securing a financial planning resident position with a high-profile RIA firm in San Francisco, the challenges of moving to a higher cost-of-living area, and what he learned during his tenure.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Ryan got started in the financial planning profession. (2:15)
- What his residency program was like. (5:40)
- His experience working with an ultra-high-net-worth firm. (12:00)
- What his role as a Senior Financial Advisor entailed. (16:30)
- Ryan’s experience with burnout. (19:00)
- What his current role consists of and what his career track looks like. (21:25)
- Ryan's tips for new planners. (28:45)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“You’re helping to create work for clients and households and families that really get a lot from these services.” - Ryan Rasmussen Click To Tweet “That residency program is literally why I am here today.” - Ryan Rasmussen Click To Tweet “I learned why it was important to hire slow.” - Ryan Rasmussen Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Ryan Rasmussen: LinkedIn
- Yusuf Abugideiri
- Ep #01: Yusuf Abugideiri and Bryan Hasling - Succession Planning from a G2 Perspective
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below:
Enjoy the show? Use the Links Below to Subscribe: