Welcome to the New Planner Podcast, where it's all about helping you successfully enter the financial planning profession and accelerate your financial planning career. Each week, your host Caleb Brown will explore the human side of creating a successful planning career through interviews, personal experience, and insights from the trenches to help you become familiar with the various career paths available to you and avoid the mistakes that limit your success.
In this opening episode, Yusuf Abugideiri and Bryan Hasling join the show to discuss all the ins and outs of ownership within a firm, as well as why partnership is not a get-rich-quick scheme but a long-term game. Listen in to learn the sacrifices that are required when becoming a business owner, the importance of trust between you and your business partner, and more.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- Why partnership in business might not be as big of a step as you are hoping.
- The skills required to become a partner.
- How owning a business is just the beginning of a long game.
- The importance of trust between you and your business partner.
- Why Yusuf and Bryan pursued ownership.
- The sacrifices made when becoming a business owner.
Ideas Worth Sharing:“If owning equity is something important to you and you want to work your way up and become a part owner … the most important puzzle piece is the person who owns the equity already and their comfort with letting it go.” - Bryan Hasling Click To Tweet “If you professionally marry somebody, you’re sharing a life with that business partner. You need to trust that person.” - Yusuf Abugideiri Click To Tweet “So for all the men and women out there that are considering this kind of opportunity … I would suggest that you remember all of your business partners and that you act accordingly as you go through this kind of process.” - Yusuf… Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Yusuf Abugideiri: LinkedIn
- Bryan Hasling: LinkedIn
- Caleb Brown: LinkedIn | Twitter
- New Planner Recruiting
- Successful Hiring for Financial Planners: The Human Capital Advantage by Caleb Brown
- Lodestar Private Asset Management
- G2 by Philip Palaveev
- Email us with guest feedback or ask a question!
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.