Today we are joined by Hannah Moore, owner of Guiding Wealth, a financial planning firm based out of Dallas, TX. Hannah is also the creator and facilitator of the Financial Planning Association’s Summer Virtual Externship, which is an eight-week virtual program for students, planners who lost their job, and those interested in a career change, that helps them apply classroom theory to real-life practice.
In this episode, Hannah shares how she became a firm owner, the reasons why she downsized from 350 to 35 clients, and how she designed a firm that fits her lifestyle. We also discuss how Hannah used her own experiences to design the FPA Externship program and how the program gives an incredible amount of value to participants, no matter what career stage they are in.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- Why Hannah chose to work for a broker-dealer right out of school. (10:00)
- How Hannah cultivated confidence in herself in the early days of her career. (11:30)
- Where Guiding Wealth stands now. (15:50)
- How Hannah balances entrepreneurship and family life. (18:30)
- What the FPA Externship is. (23:15)
- The logistics behind the Externship. (28:50)
- How firm owners can contribute to Externship scholarships. (35:15)
- What Hannah wishes all job seekers would do. (39:00)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“I want to teach other planners how to be better financial planners, because that’s something we’re not taught.” - Hannah Moore Click To Tweet “The question is not ‘are you at a broker dealer?’ or ‘are you at an RIA?' The question is ‘are you a financial planner?’” - Hannah Moore Click To Tweet “When you listen to somebody, you develop such a relationship with them.” - Hannah Moore Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Hannah Moore: Website | LinkedIn | Email
- The Financial Planning Association’s Virtual Externship
- You’re a Financial Planner, Now What?
- The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron
- Patrick Dougherty
- Trudy Turner
- Sudden Money Institute
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.