John Gugle is a Regional Growth Consultant with LPL Financial based out of Charlotte, NC. He joins the show today to share his career journey into financial planning, including how he was able to leverage his degrees in Japanese and Finance to get started with a consulting firm.
Listen in as John shares how he was able to develop the trust of his co-workers who came to him for financial advice, as well as how he used his memberships in professional organizations to find a 2-year residency position. You'll hear why he left one RIA to start his own, how his mentors made a difference in his success, and the common characteristics of those who are successful in the financial planning profession.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- Why John left UBS after only one year. (6:30)
- What his client base looked like when he first went out on his own. (11:45)
- The importance of mentorship and how John met his first mentor. (13:20)
- How he built and scaled his firm. (15:30)
- The characteristics he looked for when he was hiring. (19:10)
- One of the best things he did when separating the business during his divorce. (23:25)
- How John’s business took off in 2021. (30:20)
- His advice for success in the financial planning industry. (36:20)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“I didn’t see the pathway to doing the business the way that I wanted to do it.” - John Gugle Click To Tweet “If we were going to be successful, we had to build more of an ensemble firm.” - John Gugle Click To Tweet “The first thing that really changed my life was I joined NAPFA.” - John Gugle Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Enjoy the show? Use the Links Below to Subscribe: