Stephen Nelson is a Senior Financial Planner with Mills Wealth Advisors based out of Southlake, TX. He joins the show today to talk about his path into the financial planning profession and how it led him to his current firm, which he knew was the right fit for him and his family.
Listen in as Stephen shares why he pivoted away from pursuing a career in law, as well as how his early years in the insurance channel positioned him for success. You'll learn why he walked away from six years of building a business at an insurance company to jump into the RIA channel, how he narrowed down the firms that were a right fit for him, and the details of his recent partnership buy-in.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- What it means to be a Senior Financial Advisor at Mills Wealth Advisors. (1:45)
- How Stephen first got interested in the financial planning industry. (5:15)
- Why he set his sights on the RIA channel. (10:20)
- How he narrowed down the firms he wanted to work with. (12:00)
- The difference between an Associate Advisor and a Service Advisor. (17:40)
- Why Stephen has stayed with his current firm. (19:55)
- What his recent partnership buy-in looked like and the changes that happened after. (21:35)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“The idea is to know the client and their financial plan better than anyone else in the firm if you’re going to be the Associate Financial Planner.” - Stephen Nelson Click To Tweet “As an Associate Advisor, you are second chair. Always.” - Stephen Nelson Click To Tweet “I’m at a firm where clients come first—money doesn’t come first.” - Stephen Nelson Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Enjoy the show? Use the Links Below to Subscribe: