Joining the show today is Alisa Nguyen, the 2021 recipient of The New Planner Recruiting CFP Program Tuition Reimbursement Scholarship. In this episode, she discusses her path into financial planning, how she leveraged her past experiences as the financial steward for her family to help other divorced women confront various anxieties around money, and more.
Listen in as Alisa shares why she pursued the CFP education from Utah Valley, as well as how she has managed to attend classes full-time and work part-time—all while raising 5 children as a single mom. You'll learn how she secured her job in the Money Success Center at UVU, what she spends her time doing there, and what fears, hopes, and dreams she has about the financial planning profession.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- Money anxiety post-divorce and how Alisa got into the financial planning field. (2:30)
- How her past helped to lead her into financial planning. (6:38)
- The stress that money brings and how Alisa helps others deal with it. (8:25)
- Finding a balance between work, home life, school, and more. (10:50)
- Dealing with the financial side of moving into a new relationship. (13:30)
- The importance of spreading financial wisdom and encouraging increased understanding. (17:19)
- The path that Alisa has chosen in financial planning and why it’s perfect for her right now. (20:30)
- Insight into how she has managed single motherhood, school, and work. (23:11)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“At one point I was just like, 'I’m going to research everything and figure it out on my own' because I didn’t feel like I could trust anyone.” - Alisa Nguyen Click To Tweet “Money can be so stressful for everyone, and dealing with it every day but being able to take some of that stress away for others makes my week.” - Alisa Nguyen Click To Tweet “Once you decide that you have to do it all and you’re not hoping someone else is going to step in and do something, then you just figure out how to do it all—because you have to.” - Alisa Nguyen Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Alisa Nguyen: LinkedIn
- Marybell Carlson
- Ep #11: Finding Your True Passion in Financial Planning with Mary Carlson
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.