Molly Rimes is a Financial Planning Associate at InsMed Loan Advisory Services who pivoted away from a career in politics to pursue financial planning. She joins the show today to discuss her journey to the financial planning industry and what she has learned along the way.
Listen in as Molly shares what it was like getting hired in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, how she overcame a lack of experience and education to land an entry-level role, and what she has learned over the last 6 months on the job. We also talk about why she pivoted away from a career in politics to go into financial planning, and how her political science education has helped her to become a better planner and added value to her firm.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Molly got her career started in financial planning. (2:00)
- How she was able to get her foot in the door for interviews. (7:00)
- What the interviewing process was like with InsMed Loan Advisory. (8:35)
- How Molly’s political science education has helped her in financial planning. (10:10)
- What she does at InsMed and what it’s like working there. (11:30)
- Why she chose to go into the insurance field rather than a traditional financial planning role. (18:05)
- What she has learned over the last 6 months on the job. (20:45)
- Molly’s experience working remotely. (23:55)
- What she would have done differently when she first started her financial planning career. (25:10)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“I could be a really good workaholic, but do I want to be?” - Molly Rimes Click To Tweet “Being open-minded is really important when you’re looking for a job.” - Molly Rimes Click To Tweet “No day is just a boring day, there’s always something going on.” - Molly Rimes Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.