Sam Nguyen is the Senior Tax Manager at XY Planning Network, an organization of fee-only financial advisors who are focused on working with Generation X and Generation Y clients. Today, Sam joins the show to share his journey from CFP educational program to getting his foot in the door with an RIA, including what it was like trying to enter the financial planning profession during a recession.
Listen in as he discusses his strategy for reaching out to firms during a time when no one was hiring, his starting role, and why he saw it as the opportunity of a lifetime. You'll learn how he developed a niche and a passion for tax preparation and tax planning, as well as why he left a good position he held for 10 years so he could join XY Planning Network.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- Sam’s journey through the financial planning industry. (2:40)
- An overview of his career track. (8:55)
- How he found his way to niching into tax prep. (11:55)
- What is was like getting the Enrolled Agent designation. (14:40)
- Why Sam decided to leave his firm for XY Planning Network. (16:35)
- Why XYPN is his dream firm. (23:35)
- How to pursue your own tax-focused career. (24:35)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“I didn’t want to have to worry about insurance sales anymore.” - Sam Nguyen Click To Tweet “I was willing to do whatever it takes to get into a financial planning firm.” - Sam Nguyen Click To Tweet “Every year, I am always learning something new about tax planning and prep.” - Sam Nguyen Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.