Taynia Vakapuna is a paraplanner with Everspire in Midvale, UT. Today she joins the show to discuss her journey going from a biology major to a paraplanner in a financial planning firm, including why she ended up not going through with a degree in the sciences and what led her to consider a change in direction.
Listen in as she talks about how the initiative she took to attend a financial planning conference changed the course of her career and what it was like trying to complete the program with three small children and a military spouse who deployed often. You'll learn what changes Taynia would like to see in the profession and the things she wishes she would have done differently.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Taynia became a paraplanner with Everspire. (2:17)
- Her advice for anyone thinking of a career change. (5:18)
- What encouraged her to pursue paraplanning. (13:30)
- An average day as a paraplanner. (15:40)
- The thing Taynia enjoys the most about her job. (17:05)
- What changes she would like to see in the profession. (20:30)
- Tips for job seekers. (26:18)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“Take advantage of opportunities that come up.” - Taynia Vakapuna Click To Tweet “Knowing that we are providing flexibility and out-of-the-box thinking is really important.” - Taynia Vakapuna Click To Tweet “I think it would be neat to see more hiring of your non-traditional professional.” - Taynia Vakapuna Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Taynia Vakapuna: LinkedIn
- CFP Certification Scholarship List
- XY Planning Network
- The University of Utah Financial Planning Program
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Enjoy the show? Use the Links Below to Subscribe: