Jarrod Upton is a Senior Consultant and COO, and Brandon Moss is a Senior Consultant and CMO, at Herbers & Company, a management and growth consulting firm serving the financial planning industry. Both started on the client side of the industry but found their place and their passion in the consulting world.
In this episode, we’re discussing how Jarrod and Brandon got started in the financial planning industry and what prompted them to move from advisor to consultant. They also share what skills and experience are needed to succeed in a career as a consultant, the skill sets that new planners should develop to position themselves as a leader, and what some of the top barriers firms face when they are growing and scaling.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- The most important skills to serve clients and run a business effectively. (9:30)
- Why Jarrod and Brandon moved over to the consultant side of the advisor industry. (15:30)
- How Herbers & Company helps financial planning organizations grow. (18:30)
- The top barriers that firms face as they grow. (26:25)
- What a typical day looks like at Herbers & Company. (28:20)
- Why you may want to consider the consulting route. (39:50)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“You can learn how to empathize and you can increase your confidence, you just have to continue doing it.” - Brandon Moss Click To Tweet “As soon you possibly can, get your CFP.” - Jarrod Upton Click To Tweet “Consulting is something that found me to be able to make an impact.” - Jarrod Upton Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.