Scott Oeth is a financial planner with Cahill Financial Advisors, and he joins the show today to share his captivating journey in financial planning, beginning with his early interest in investing and his initial steps in the banking sector. If you are in another channel and want to transition into the RIA model, this is an episode for you!
Listen in as Scott discusses his evolution from an internal wholesaler at an insurance company to thriving in various financial channels. You'll hear about the challenges and triumphs he encountered along the way, how his unique outdoor adventure business has influenced his approach as a financial planner, and tips for new planners—particularly those considering a transition to the RIA model.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- Scott's early interest in investing and how his career in financial planning began. (2:00)
- His experiences starting in the bank channel and the benefits he gained from it. (6:50)
- The challenges and successes he faced while building his career and how he stayed motivated through the ups and downs. (14:30)
- Insights into the structure of his business, the pros and cons of a silo RIA, and his future plans. (19:40)
- How Scott’s outside hobby business in wilderness adventure and training has enhanced his skills as a financial planner. (25:35)
- Tips for new planners, especially those transitioning to the RIA model. (28:30)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“It was really a backwards model in my mind; it was go find your clients and sell, and then you're supposed to provide them with advice.” - Scott Oeth Click To Tweet “I love this field. It's interesting. It feels like you can really help people.” - Scott Oeth Click To Tweet “Come from a place of advice and service, not from products.” - Scott Oeth Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Scott Oeth: Website | LinkedIn
- Cahill Financial Advisors
- Finding your Path: The Roadmap from Student to Successful Financial Planner by Caleb Brown
Download your free copy of the New Planner Career Roadmap! In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Get the Full Episode Transcript: