Tess Downing is the Founder of Complete View Financial based out of San Antonio, TX. She joins the show today to talk about her journey in the financial planning industry, including what she would have done differently if she could do it all over again. If you want to know what it is like to work your way up in a firm over 10 years—and then leave to start your own firm—this episode is one you won’t want to miss!
Listen in as Tess shares how she got started, as well as how she secured her internship. You'll learn what it was like for her landing her first financial planning position, her biggest challenges when starting out, why she made the decision to leave her firm after 10 years and start her own, and how the XYPN network and community have helped her.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Tess secured her first internship. (4:00)
- What she learned in that internship. (5:30)
- How she found her first job. (8:15)
- The biggest challenge Tess experienced as an Associate Advisor. (13:00)
- Why she chose to start her own firm. (17:55)
- The biggest challenges she faced when launching her own firm. (22:20)
- Tips for new planners. (24:30)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“You have the technical knowledge from school, but then marrying that with how to actually communicate that technical knowledge to a client is huge.” - Tess Downing Click To Tweet “The internship was very much worth the experience.’” - Tess Downing Click To Tweet “It sounded like a challenge, so I was up for it.” - Tess Downing Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Tess Downing: Website | LinkedIn
- Ep #47: Selecting The Right CFP Program With Dr. Vickie Hampton
- XY Planning Network
- FJY Financial
Download your free copy of the New Planner Career Roadmap!
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Leave a Reply