Dr. Vickie Hampton is a Certified Financial Planner and Department Chair for the Personal Financial Planning program at Texas Tech University. Throughout her long and tenured career in academia, Vickie has gained valuable insights and experiences, and she joins me today to share some of her wisdom.
Listen in as she discusses the difference between finance and financial planning, how a certificate program differs from a degree program, and the course that everyone has to take to ultimately sit for the CFP exam. Vickie also shares how to select the best CFP program, what today’s top financial graduates are seeking from employers, and the characteristics that the top 10% of new graduates have that separate them from the rest.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- The educational requirements for the CFP exam. (2:50)
- The differences between a degree program and a certificate program. (6:00)
- Vickie’s advice for choosing which program to take. (9:20)
- What the growth has looked like for financial planning programs. (11:10)
- Why financial planning programs can be found in many different faculties. (14:20)
- The difference between finance and financial planning. (19:30)
- What the top students are looking for in employers and what separates them from everyone else. (21:10)
- Vickie’s advice for those considering a career in financial planning. (25:00)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“Regardless of how you get there in terms of your education, you still have to sit for the same exam.” - Dr. Vickie Hampton Click To Tweet “Do you want to spend the time and money to get the masters degree, or is it good enough to get the certificate?” - Dr. Vickie Hampton Click To Tweet “If you’re a young person starting out, you want to find a good undergraduate degree.” - Dr. Vickie Hampton Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Dr. Vickie Hampton: LinkedIn
- XY Planning Network
- The University of Utah Financial Planning Program
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Enjoy the show? Use the Links Below to Subscribe: