Anabelle Sanko is a sophomore, CFP Student at Kansas State University and the winner of the inaugural 2020 New Planner Recruiting CFP Tuition Scholarship. Today she joins the show to discuss the family experiences that led her to pursue a career in financial planning, as well as how she balances her full-time student course load with all of her extracurricular activities.
Listen in as she explains how she secured her internship and the steps she is taking to try to increase the number of diverse candidates in the financial planning profession. You will learn about the fulfilling work Anabelle does with the Powercat Peer Financial Counseling program, what she has learned after having over 50 client sessions under her belt at just two years in, and what you can do to stand out among the competition.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- Why Anabelle pursued a career in financial planning. (2:32)
- Anabelle’s long-term plans. (6:16)
- The interview process she went through to become a peer counselor at Powercat. (7:48)
- The hardest meeting she deals with. (10:58)
- How she got noticed by Vanguard. (14:28)
- What her day-to-day life looks like. (16:46)
- How we can get more diverse and inclusive candidates in the financial planning profession. (20:06)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“Take every opportunity that you can.” - Anabelle Sanko Click To Tweet “Just seeing what parts of financial planning I really enjoy and how I can make the biggest impact is what I am most excited for.”- Anabelle Sanko Click To Tweet “I am looking for firms that align with my values.”- Anabelle Sanko Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Anabelle Sanko: LinkedIn
- Caleb Brown: LinkedIn | Twitter
- New Planner Recruiting, LLC on YouTube
- How To Help Educate Tomorrow’s Planner
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.