Jun Shim is a financial planner with MyCFO4Life based out of Dallas, TX, and he joins the show today to share his journey into financial planning and why it is the right career fit for him. If you are stuck in a job outside of the industry and deeply desire to secure a true financial planning apprenticeship type role, this is an episode you won’t want to miss!
Listen in as Jun shares how he got started in the financial planning industry, what he learned about himself in the various roles he has had, and why he chose to pursue the CFP while also serving in the US Army Reserves. We also discuss how he narrowed the list of prospective firms he wanted to work for, what the most challenging and most rewarding parts of his job are, and what the industry can do to improve awareness and attract more planners from underrepresented communities.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Jun got started in financial planning. (2:10)
- What prompted him to pursue his CFP while in the US Army Reserves. (4:55)
- Why Jun pursued a job that he didn’t feel was a good fit initially. (11:35)
- How he knew he needed to make a change. (16:00)
- How he narrowed his list of prospective firms to work for. (18:15)
- The most enjoyable and challenging parts of Jun’s job now. (19:15)
- How to get more people from underrepresented communities into the industry. (21:15)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“Being in that position and having to do that really pushed me out of my comfort zone and taught me a lot about myself.” - Jun Shim Click To Tweet “Tax is a big component in any type of planning situation.” - Jun Shim Click To Tweet “The more you know, the more you’ll be able to help your clients.” - Jun Shim Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Enjoy the show? Use the Links Below to Subscribe: