Libby McKay and Jessi Dolmage are Financial Advisors with Penobscot Financial Advisors based out of Portland, ME. They join the show today to discuss how they got started in financial planning and what it was like getting hired without any previous experience under their belts. If you are considering a career change to financial planning, this episode is one you won’t want to miss!
Listen in as Jessi shares how she pivoted from the non-profit fundraising sector to financial planning, how she was able to narrow down the type of firm that would be the best fit for her, and what it was like working for a firm where she was a client. Libby gives us a look into why her life sciences career was not the best fit for her, how her interest in financial planning was initially piqued, and why she pursued the CFP certification—even though it wasn’t required. Both also open up about what they would have done differently in their careers so far and offer tips for new planners.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Jessi transitioned into financial planning. (2:10)
- Libby’s career trajectory from pre-med to financial planning. (5:00)
- Why Libby decided to go for the CFP designation. (9:40)
- The resources that helped them navigate the financial planning industry. (10:25)
- What it was like studying for and passing the CFP exam. (17:00)
- How Libby and Jessi knew their current firm was a good fit for them. (23:50)
- What they wished they would have done differently in their careers. (31:50)
- Tips for new planners. (34:35)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“I got interested in financial planning because I was a client of a firm and I had the best experience with them.” - Jessi Dolmage Click To Tweet “I really narrowed in on wanting to get the CFP designation and work at an independent fee-only firm.” - Libby McKay Click To Tweet “We were always trying something new, which I loved.” - Jessi Dolmage Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Libby McKay: LinkedIn
- Jessi Dolmage: LinkedIn
- Coats Financial Planning
Download your free copy of the New Planner Career Roadmap!
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Leave a Reply