Melissa Barron and Jordan Slingo are both Senior Wealth Advisors with Elwood & Goetz Wealth Advisory Group in Athens, GA. They join the show today to discuss their individual journeys in the financial planning industry, including what it was like entering the profession when entry-level jobs were hard to come by.
Listen in as Melissa and Jordan share how they got started in the industry, as well as how they managed to get their foot in the door. We also discuss the compelling nature of the financial planning industry and how two people with different backgrounds, interests, and skill sets can find their way to the same firm and successfully operate in similar roles.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- Melissa’s career trajectory and how she first got started in the industry. (2:30)
- How Jordan got started in the financial planning industry. (8:50)
- Melissa’s experience returning to work after maternity leave. (22:00)
- What it means to be a fiduciary. (30:35)
- Why Jordan made the decision to go for his CFP designation. (32:45)
- What it means to have a ChFC designation. (36:30)
- Why neither Melissa nor Jordan have entertained leaving their current firm. (44:00)
- Tips for new planners. (47:35)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“Who do you want your clients to be and what kind of advisor do you want to be?” - Melissa Barron Click To Tweet “At the end of the day, money is just a means to an end.” - Melissa Barron Click To Tweet “It was one and done or nothing—there was no going back for round two.” - Jordan Slingo Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Jordan Slingo: LinkedIn
- Melissa Barron: LinkedIn
- The Motley Fool
- CFA Institute
- Chartered Financial Consultant Designation
Download your free copy of the New Planner Career Roadmap!
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Leave a Reply