Frank Fernandez is an Associate Planner with Weingarten & Associates, a planning-centric fee-only firm based out of Trenton, NJ that is led by a husband and wife team. If you are seeking to add value to a small yet growing firm, this is an episode you won’t want to miss!
Listen in to hear how Frank initially found the CFP program, why he pursued three voluntary internships, and how he approached taking both the CFP and the Enrolled Agent exams. We also discuss why he sought out a planning-centric fee-only firm, how his role has evolved over the years with the firm, and more.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- What made Frank realize he wanted to be a financial planner. (2:00)
- What was interesting about tax planning to Frank. (7:00)
- The reason he didn’t initially pass the CFP exam. (8:30)
- How he secured his internships. (9:50)
- Frank’s growth spectrum at his current firm. (12:30)
- What it’s like to work for a husband and wife team. (15:00)
- Why Frank chose to join a firm instead of starting his own. (17:05)
- Why he chose to do the Enrolled Agent designation. (21:00)
- Frank’s regrets in his career so far. (23:05)
- His advice for new planners. (24:15)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“I like where I’m at—I really do.” - Frank Fernandez Click To Tweet “Having the one-on-one and the mentor/mentee relationship with my bosses has been crucial for my development.” - Frank Fernandez Click To Tweet “Listening goes a long way.” - Frank Fernandez Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Frank Fernandez: LinkedIn
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.