Dan Weiss is an Associate Wealth Manager with PrairieView Partners in Minneapolis, MN. He joins the show today to share his path into financial planning and how he was exposed to it early on through his father's firm. He also discusses why he didn't join his father's firm when he started his career, instead moving halfway across the country to join a fee-only RIA in the Midwest.
Listen in to hear how he found his job, why he knew it was a good fit, and some insights into the interview process. You'll learn how he prepped for the Enrolled Agent and CFP exams, as well as what questions you should ask a firm to help determine if it is a good fit. If you are seeking to carve your own career path in financial planning, then this episode is for you!
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Dan found his way into financial planning. (2:02)
- Why he didn’t stay with the family business. (4:55)
- The hurdles involved with having a parent in the business. (7:06)
- The interviewing process. (11:48)
- What you should ask a firm you’re interviewing for. (13:01)
- Dan's credentials and which ones he sees as most important. (14:27)
- The roles he played and the transitions he has made at his firm. (19:50)
- The biggest challenge he has encountered in his journey. (25:40)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“I was pretty much born into the profession.” - Dan Weiss Click To Tweet “I got to sit in on client meetings and learn how to interact in a professional environment.” - Dan Weiss Click To Tweet “I was really looking for a firm I could learn at.” - Dan Weiss Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.