My guests today are Landon Powell, Josh Brumbach, and Garrett Klinger, who are Financial Planning Students at the University of Georgia. Listen in as they explain what the Securities Industry Essentials (SIE) is and why they each wanted to pursue it, what the cost and process for registering entailed, and detailed insight as to what type of material and types of questions were asked on the test.
You’ll hear about how Garrett had a different experience taking the exam virtually than the other two due to the remote proctoring option he selected. Make sure you check out the middle, where they describe how long it took for them to study, how Landon's approach was a little different than Josh and Garrett's, what their study schedule was, what materials they used, and how they utilized the practice exams to gauge their progress along the way. If you are considering taking the SIE exam and want to pass on your first try, then this episode is for you!
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- What SIE is and why it’s so valuable. (2:23)
- How to register for the exam and the process of taking the test at home or elsewhere. (6:01)
- The kinds of questions you can expect to see on the exam. (10:41)
- How to handle questions you’re unsure of and navigate the exam efficiently. (12:44)
- What kinds of materials and techniques the guys used to study and prepare. (14:42)
- The baseline knowledge that will help you with the test. (18:30)
- What two main areas to focus on with your studying. (23:40)
- How long it took to take the exam and prep for the exam. (24:11)
- Managing exam stress on the day of. (31:17)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“Being able to show that you passed the SIE Exam gives firms and people you’re interested in working with reassurance that you’re interested and invested in the industry.” - Josh Brumbach Click To Tweet “If the answer is a toss-up, I leave it to my original answer but going back in the test is good to make sure you didn’t ‘miss-click’ or misread a question.” - Landon Powell Click To Tweet “I’m one of those people who loves practice. I think practice makes perfect and that’s one of the reasons I’m going to grad school.” - Garrett Klinger Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Josh Brumbach: LinkedIn
- Garrett Klinger: LinkedIn
- Landon Powell: LinkedIn
- Kaplan SIE Exam Prep Resources
- FINRA SIE Exam
- Prometric Proctoring
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.