Do you think introversion may keep you from a successful financial planning career? Turns out that isn't the case! Joining me on the podcast today is Emily Haberkern, a financial advisor with Evangelista & Associates in Ann Arbor, MI who has proven that being an introvert doesn't mean you can't have a successful planning career. In this episode, she talks about getting started in financial planning, how she worked her way up through the ranks over the last 14 years, and how her career exploded after she ultimately embraced her own introversion.
Listen in as Emily opens up about her early realization that she wanted to be a financial planner and how she racked up almost four years of planning experience while attending college at the same time. She also discusses how she found the right position and firm where she could use her strengths and skills, how she got 35 referrals from her clients last year, and other ways she has found to grow and contribute to the success of her firm.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Emily's decision to be a financial planner came about. (2:02)
- The benefits of the college classes she took and how she got job experience during her schooling. (3:52)
- Why she took her CFP later on and what her priorities were when she got started. (7:24)
- Where she started working after college and how she found a good fit for her. (9:28)
- Why she took her job and why she eventually moved away from the paraplanner role. (12:42)
- How she ended up being a mentor to other advisors. (16:31)
- The importance of taking time to streamline the planning approach with each advisor. (19:32)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“I saw those conversations happening with clients, and it’s been a big motivator to me to not let what happened to people back in 2008 happen to my clients.” - Emily Haberkern Click To Tweet “I always steer people towards doing the licensing exams first just because, from a matter of getting more experience before taking the CFP exam, I’ve noticed there’s a much higher likelihood of passing.” - Emily Haberkern Click To Tweet “There’s a strong stereotype in the industry that you should be this expressive, outgoing, chatty, extremely extroverted person… But I realized that’s not who I am.” - Emily Haberkern Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Emily Haberkern: LinkedIn
- Evangelista & Associates
Download your free copy of the New Planner Career Roadmap!
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Leave a Reply