Jason Black is a Financial Advisor, and Lee Strongwater is a Senior Advisor and Partner, both at Colorado Capital Management in Boulder, CO. Jason and Lee join the show today to share their individual career journeys, including how they got started in the industry and the pivots they've made along the way.
Listen in as they discuss what brought them to financial planning from other careers, as well as how they overcame the challenges that come with a career change. You'll hear their advice for anyone looking to switch careers and great tips for new planners on achieving success in this field.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Lee got started in financial planning. (2:30)
- How Jason got started in the financial planning industry. (7:45)
- Why Colorado Capital was a good fit for Jason. (12:15)
- What prompted Lee to turn Colorado Capital into a B Corporation. (14:50)
- The attributes of a B Corporation and how it helps to attract clients and talent. (17:30)
- How Jason navigated taking a financial hit to pursue a financial planning career. (21:55)
- What Jason’s role entails. (28:23)
- Tips to success as a financial planner. (36:45)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“You can never stop learning enough about this industry.” - Jason Black Click To Tweet “We’re in a relationship builder, so as long as you have those skills, which you can pick up over time, it’s more about that ability to connect.” - Lee Strongwater Click To Tweet “Always invest in your happiness.” - Lee Strongwater Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.