Jayla Blakemore is an Account Executive at New Planner Recruiting, and she joins the show today to talk about how she made her way into financial planning at the University of Georgia—and eventually found her way to my team. If you're in a CFP program and are looking at alternative career paths outside of the lead advisor role, this is an episode you won’t want to miss!
Listen in as we discuss what made Jayla change her major from psychology to financial planning, what made her realize she didn’t want to become an advisor but still wanted to be involved in the profession, and what she has learned in her transition from student to professional. You'll learn some of the characteristics that set top candidates apart from the rest and how to know when you come across a good opportunity with a good firm.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- What it was like going through the CFP program at the University of Georgia. (2:30)
- How Jayla networked during her time at UGA. (8:30)
- What she has learned about recruiting and financial planning. (13:00)
- The things that make top financial planning candidates stand out from the rest. (16:15)
- What constitutes a good opportunity with a good firm. (19:20)
- Jayla’s top frustrations with job seekers. (22:40)
- Her hopes and dreams for the financial planning profession. (26:45)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“Consider the firms that you’re looking at—if they have existing niches, and if those are ones that you may be interested in.” - Jayla Blakemore Click To Tweet “If your goal is to move up, there has to be a plan and path to move up.” - Jayla Blakemore Click To Tweet “It all comes down to people.” - Jayla Blakemore Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Enjoy the show? Use the Links Below to Subscribe: