Antonio Tovar is an Associate Wealth Manager with Stone Wealth Management based out of Austin, TX. He first got his start in financial planning during a tough job market caused by the coronavirus pandemic. If you are a recent college graduate that joined a large financial services firm but are wondering if it’s the right fit, this episode is for you.
Listen in as Antonio discusses how he overcame the difficult job market—including what he said to potential employers once he got them on the phone—and how he secured a full-time position after graduating. You'll hear about the ups and downs of being a new advisor in an entirely virtual environment, why the large broker-dealer firm wasn’t the right fit for Antonio, and why he wanted to pursue a position within an RIA.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Antonio got his start in financial planning. (2:30)
- His favorite part of the financial planning major. (5:30)
- How he secured his first internship. (6:30)
- What Antonio would say on his cold calls to potential employers. (9:25)
- What he did in his first internship. (12:00)
- Why he joined Toastmasters and how it helped him. (16:45)
- How Antonio secured his first full-time job. (19:20)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“If you’re not 100% on all your skill sets and not totally refined as a professional, just keep working on it.” - Antonio Tovar Click To Tweet “You never know how a conversation is going to go.” - Antonio Tovar Click To Tweet “Whenever you meet people, make sure you’re making those connections.” - Antonio Tovar Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Antonio Tovar: LinkedIn
- Bill Gustafson
Download your free copy of the New Planner Career Roadmap!
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Leave a Reply