Matt Goren is the Program Director for the American College of Financial Services, and he joins the show today to discuss his transition into financial planning from his previous background in psychology. If you are a career-changer looking to get into the financial planning industry, this is an episode you won’t want to miss!
Listen in as Matt shares what his career trajectory was like prior to getting into financial planning, as well as the struggles he faced while changing careers. He also shares how saying “yes” helped to jumpstart his financial planning career, how to turn your prior career experience into assets that firm owners would value, and his thoughts on some of the designations that new planners should consider pursuing.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Matt made the transition from psychology to financial planning. (2:00)
- How saying “yes” jumpstarted Matt’s career in financial planning. (5:30)
- Common struggles when changing careers and how to overcome them. (7:00)
- What Matt would tell career-changers deciding between starting with a job or a designation. (12:45)
- Matt’s thoughts on designations and how to know which one to pursue. (17:00)
- How career-changers can best succeed in the financial planning profession. (25:50)
Ideas Worth Sharing:”You need the letters behind your name. That really does matter in the world of financial planning.” - Matt Goren Click To Tweet ”Don’t settle, and keep saying ‘yes' to the opportunities that are going to springboard you into the career that you want.” - Matt Goren Click To Tweet ”Find the designation that fits the niche that you want to work with.” - Matt Goren Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Matt Goren: LinkedIn
- Transition Graphic
- The Difference in CHFC vs. CFP
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.