Karly Holland is an Associate Financial Planner with Divergent Planning, a fee-only financial planning firm. Karly joins the show to share how she got her start in the financial planning profession, developed a niche in tax planning, and how she landed where she is today.
Listen in as she talks about the main functions of her role each day, how she adds value to the firm, and how her role has grown throughout the years. We also discuss how she secured her first role, made the transition from student to professional, as well as what made her leave that job to join her current firm.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- What being an Associate Financial Planner entails at Divergent Planning. (2:10)
- The time it takes to create an initial client plan. (5:40)
- The most interesting client situation Karly has faced. (6:15)
- How she found her niche in tax planning. (7:30)
- Karly’s salary in her first job. (11:30)
- What she would do differently. (18:15)
- Why her current role is a good fit for her. (19:30)
- How the financial planning profession can attract more women. (22:30)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“I’m the person that they go to to ask any questions or to get a second opinion for everything.” - Karly Holland Click To Tweet “By the end of the third year, I was way more confident and knew the ins and outs of the tax return.” - Karly Holland Click To Tweet “If you're not happy there, there are other opportunities out there, so don’t stick around forever making yourself miserable.” - Karly Holland Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Karly Holland: LinkedIn
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.