Juan Guevara is a Financial Planner with JF Williams & Co. in Denver, CO. After immigrating to the US from Ecuador, Juan finished off his last year of high school, began college, and got into the financial planning profession. He joins the show today to share his journey and the success he has found in the profession.
Listen in as Juan talks about how he got his start in financial planning, why the first channel he started in was not the best fit for him, and how he secured his position within an RIA that provided a better fit. We also discuss the characteristics of an effective mentor, tips for new planners, and what Juan thinks the profession can do to attract more minority financial planners.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- The success that Juan has had in the financial planning industry. (2:00)
- What his current role entails. (3:25)
- How his mentor impacted his life. (7:00)
- His transition from Ecuador to the US. (13:00)
- How the industry can expose more people to the fee-only world. (18:30)
- Juan’s favorite part of his job. (21:10)
- His tips for new planners. (23:30)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“From an immigrant standpoint, the fee-only world just doesn’t exist.” - Juan Guevara Click To Tweet “XYPN opened my mind and my horizon, and there is actually something out there that is not broker-dealer.” - Juan Guevara Click To Tweet “I still think we need to have more exposure as a fee-only industry out there in colleges and universities and programs.” - Juan Guevara Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.