Deanna Tomasetti and Sophie Leahy of Burt Wealth Advisors join me today to discuss the ins and outs of re-entering the workforce after an extended leave of absence. If you’re a career changer and you’re looking to pivot to a financial planning career, this is an episode you won’t want to miss!
Listen in as Deanna and Sophie discuss how they got started in the financial planning industry, and how their previous experience and education in different fields helped to set them up for success in financial planning. We also dive into why they left the workforce and decided to re-enter over 10 years later, how they made the transition as seamless as possible, and the pros and cons of changing careers later in life.
Stay tuned to the end for a giveaway!
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- What Sophie’s day looks like and how she got started as an Associate Advisor. (2:00)
- Deanna’s role as a Financial Planner and how she got started in the industry. (4:30)
- Sophie’s journey leading up to her current career. (9:45)
- What it was like for Sophie going virtual. (14:00)
- What it was like transitioning back into the workforce. (15:50)
- How previous experience helped both achieve success in financial planning. (20:50)
- The benefits to changing careers later in life. (24:30)
- Why Deanna and Sophie left other financial planning firms. (27:20)
- Why they stay at Burt Wealth Advisors and the area where they most add value to the firm. (31:00)
- Advice for other career changers on getting through the CFP exam. (38:45)
- What can be done to attract more career changers to the financial planning industry. (43:30)
- What Deanna and Sophie wish they would have done differently. (48:45)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“It was a good feeling to be back and to be thanked for the work that I do.” - Deanna Tomasetti Click To Tweet “The biggest challenge was regaining my confidence and refinding a place in the working world.” - Sophie Leahy Click To Tweet “Life experience is really the best education.” - Deanna Tomasetti Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Enjoy the show? Use the Links Below to Subscribe: