Emily Boyd and Brandon Gutierrez are Financial Advisors with Browne, Draper & Land Financial Concepts in Dalton, GA. Today they join the show to discuss how they learned about the profession, including what intrigued them to become involved in the industry, what their roles look like day-to-day, and how these tasks have changed as their careers have progressed. If you are in an associate planner role and want to move into a lead planner role, then this episode is for you.
Listen in as Emily shares what benefits she received from shadowing an advisor while still in school, why her first firm wasn't the best fit for her, and why she left to join her current firm. Brandon describes his process for determining what job opportunities he wanted to pursue, what he was looking for in a firm, and why his current firm was a good match for him. You'll learn why they remain happy with their firm, as well as what they hope to achieve in the next few years and several tips for newer planners who are just starting out.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Emily became involved in financial planning. (3:57)
- How Brandon got his start in financial planning. (7:00)
- Why Emily decided to move to a new branch. (8:33)
- Why Brandon decided to move to Dalton. (12:00)
- How his role has evolved over the years. (14:35)
- The biggest mistake he made. (17:30)
- What humbled Emily in the financial planning process. (21:30)
- Where Brandon and Emily believe they’re adding the most value. (23:00)
- Why Emily is staying at her current firm. (27:10)
- How clients react to being taken over by new planners. (33:40)
- Advice for any new planners. (39:08)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“Figuring out how to communicate with clients differently, depending on how they want to be communicated with, for the same set of data was an interesting learning curve that I had to develop.” - Emily Boyd Click To Tweet “You don’t truly know what you think you know until you have been tested.” - Emily Boyd Click To Tweet “We are whole team of people. We make it pretty clear that you’re not just dealing with one person, you’re dealing with all of us.” - Brandon Gutierrez Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Enjoy the show? Use the Links Below to Subscribe: