Veronica Taylor is a financial planner at Northstar, a fully virtual organization that helps employees make better financial decisions. She joins the show to share her journey from graphic designer to financial planner, as well as what led her to start a financial coaching company to increase financial literacy and awareness and ultimately close the racial wealth divide.
Listen in as Veronica discusses the reasons she made a career change and jumped into financial planning, how she secured her first full-time salaried position in the field, and the pros and cons of joining a small startup firm. She also opens up about what it was like leaving a stable job to take a chance on something new and how she and her spouse found balance while raising a family and pursuing careers of their own.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- Veronica’s journey from graphic design to the financial planning industry. (2:10)
- The benefits of having a mentor in the industry. (8:15)
- What it was like going from a stable job to starting over in financial planning. (10:15)
- What changes Veronica would like to see in the financial planning industry. (14:30)
- What the interview process was like at Northstar. (15:40)
- How the transition has been from an in-person career to a virtual workplace. (18:45)
- Some of the challenges to joining a startup. (23:35)
- What Veronica's day looks like as a financial planner with Northstar. (24:40)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“Northstar just made me feel valued before I even started.” - Veronica Taylor Click To Tweet “I didn’t want to settle for something that didn’t feel right or that wasn’t going to value my perspective.” - Veronica Taylor Click To Tweet “If this your purpose, go for it and get out of your head.” - Veronica Taylor Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Veronica Taylor: LinkedIn
- 301 Wealth
- Quad A
- Management Leadership for Tomorrow
- Rachel Sanborn
- Rianka Dorsainvil
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.