Kelly Stanley is a Partner and Fiduciary Wealth Manager at Cogent Strategic Wealth, a firm based out of Chicago, IL that manages $200 million in AUM for 70 client families. She joins the show today to share her inspiring story and how she became a partner at her firm in just 5 years.
Listen in as Kelly details her career trajectory, from first being interested in financial planning as a child to securing her first position at a broker-dealer firm and eventually earning the partner role in a very highly profitable fee-only group. You'll learn the challenges of balancing a young family with a career and how that has impacted Kelly's career path, as well as how joining a small firm right out of the gate has numerous benefits for new financial planners.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- Where Kelly started in the financial planning industry and what her path looked like. (2:25)
- What first got her interested in financial planning. (4:15)
- How she developed confidence in her career path. (6:35)
- Why a buy-out prompted her to leave her job. (10:25)
- Some of the benefits of starting your career in a smaller firm. (13:30)
- The current structure of Cogent Strategic Wealth. (15:10)
- How Kelly became a partner in just 5 years. (16:10)
- What a realistic time frame usually is for becoming a partner. (20:50)
- The process in the partnership transition. (22:10)
- Kelly’s tips for job seekers and career changers. (23:50)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“It was my expectation at my previous firm that I was in that progression of becoming an owner at some point.” - Kelly Stanley Click To Tweet “Working with people who you know you get along easily with is a big deal.” - Kelly Stanley Click To Tweet “We all have our own strengths, and financial planning is one thing that I love doing.” - Kelly Stanley Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Kelly Stanley: Website | LinkedIn
- Buckingham Strategic Partners
- FP Transitions
- EP #13: The Basics of a Successful Succession Plan with Christine Sjölin
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.