Taylor Schulte is the Founder and CEO of Define Financial, a financial planning firm in San Diego, CA. In this episode, he walks us through his career journey from what piqued his interest in finance, to joining a large wirehouse right out of college where he pulled together $15-million in AUM by the time he left.
Listen in as he shares the catalyst for his transition to the independent RIA space, how he developed a niche as an out-of-the-box marketing thinker, and how dealing in that niche has really fueled his growth to $100-million in assets as of 2021. Taylor also shares his biggest mistakes with his marketing, some of the common pitfalls that financial planners should avoid when structuring their marketing plan, and why you should start with the end in mind when developing your strategy.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Taylor got into the financial planning industry. (2:45)
- Taylor’s niche and how it developed. (7:45)
- What a great year looks like at Define Financial. (16:10)
- Taylor’s advice for new planners just getting their first few clients. (17:30)
- How the AGC is changing what it means to be a community. (26:05)
- Taylor’s tips for newer financial advisors. (26:55)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“I have this weird superpower in the marketing space and just let my freak flag fly and have some fun with marketing.” - Taylor Schulte Click To Tweet “You need to find your voice and your personality and just be you.” - Taylor Schulte Click To Tweet “You can’t be everything to everyone.” - Taylor Schulte Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Taylor Schulte: Website | LinkedIn
- The Stay Wealthy Podcast
- Experiments in Advisor Marketing Podcast
- Experiments in Advisor Marketing Episode #18: How to Grow Your Instagram From Zero to 80k+ in 18 Months
- Justin Castelli
- The AGC
- Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen by Donald Miller
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- XYPlanning Network
- Personal Finance Club
Download your free copy of the New Planner Career Roadmap!
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Leave a Reply