Landon Tymochko is a financial advisor and partner at Leslie Roper Day & Associates, which prides itself on offering “down-to-earth financial advice” for clients of all ages who are experiencing a transition in life. Landon has a unique journey to his current career, having started in a corporate finance position at a large winery before making the leap to the financial planning industry.
In this episode, Landon shares why his time in the military and at the winery prepared him well for a career in financial planning and positioned him for ownership, and how the timeline for his career change happened over several years. He also discusses what the process of partnership transition was like, including the challenges that they had to overcome to make it happen, and his tips for success for those also considering partnership buy-in.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- Landon’s journey from the wine business to the financial planning industry. (4:10)
- Why he chose the CFP designation. (8:05)
- What it has been like working with Leslie Roper. (14:10)
- How Landon acquired his first clients as a financial planner. (19:25)
- How the partnership transition happened and what the terms of the deal were. (22:15)
- The challenges that they overcame in the partnership transition. (26:40)
- Landon’s tips for other career changers. (29:50)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“I wanted something that blended helping people with the academic aspects that a financial career provides.” - Landon Tymochko Click To Tweet “I wouldn’t consider doing anything else, this is exactly the place that I need to be.'” - Landon Tymochko Click To Tweet “Once they know that they like you, it’s a relatively easy bridge to get them to trust you with your education and experience.” - Landon Tymochko Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Landon Tymochko: Website | LinkedIn
- Ep #13: The Basics of a Successful Succession Plan with Christine Sjölin
Download your free copy of the New Planner Career Roadmap!
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Leave a Reply