Soraya Morris is a Lead Trainer at Envestnet MoneyGuide in Richmond, Virginia. Today she joins the show to share how she got her start at MoneyGuide, as well as how her career has progressed to helping financial advisors across the country serve their clients more efficiently and effectively.
Listen in as she talks about how she narrowed down the type of financial planning firm she wanted to target coming out of the Virginia Commonwealth CFP program and how she landed her first position in the profession. You'll learn about her experience working in the multi-family office channel (and why it was ultimately not the right fit for her), how career seekers can get hired and become successful in a Fintech role, and what job seekers should be looking for in terms of compensation, benefits, and culture when evaluating different career opportunities.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- What Soraya does as a trainer at MoneyGuide. (2:50)
- Why she joined a fee-only firm and what she learned there. (7:29)
- What made her move to her position at MoneyGuide. (9:30)
- How the MoneyGuide training works. (12:35)
- How Soraya handles the travel aspect of her work. (14:52)
- The different levels of careers at MoneyGuide. (15:57)
- What you need in order to get started in a financial planning position. (21:20)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“I enjoyed working with firms and with clients, but I felt like it wasn’t my highest and best use.” - Soraya Morris Click To Tweet “There’s different paths you can take on the support team, if you’re interested, and that really helps develop you for your next position.” - Soraya Morris Click To Tweet “Having a positive mindset and having a growth mindset is really important. Being a constant learner in our industry where things are always changing and being a problem solver is really important.” - Soraya Morris Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Soraya Morris: LinkedIn
- Apply for positions at MoneyGuide
- Professional Designations
- Virginia Commonwealth University
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.