Jen Pritchard is a Lead Financial Advisor with Bannerman Wealth Management Group. She joins the show today to share her progression through the financial planning industry, detailing her experiences with multiple internships, her first job, and the challenges she faced in finding the right fit. If you are struggling to find that sometimes elusive right-fit firm, then this is an episode for you.
Listen in as Jen talks about her transition from working in a back office planner role to becoming a lead advisor, highlighting the importance of communication and finding a role that matches one's career aspirations. She also offers insights on the importance of networking, being proactive in career development, and finding a firm that aligns with both your personal values and professional goals.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- Jen's background and how her early experiences with money influenced her career. (1:59)
- Her educational journey and decision to major in personal financial planning. (2:48)
- The value of multiple internships in shaping her career path. (4:20)
- Challenges faced in early career roles and the importance of finding the right job fit. (7:15)
- Transitioning to part-time paraplanning and the gig economy. (10:13)
- The experience of being laid off and finding new opportunities. (13:20)
- Jen's current role at Bannerman Wealth and the satisfaction she finds in her career. (15:43)
- Advice for those transitioning into the financial planning profession. (20:23)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“It's really hard to know what someone means when they say financial planning. Networking helps you understand the different types of firms and processes.” - Jen Pritchard Click To Tweet “I was proactive in everything that I did, which got me to where I am now. Yes, it was a bumpy road, but it's been a beautiful road.” - Jen Pritchard Click To Tweet “It's important to find the right place where you can handle being there to get your experience, and eventually, it's going to be awesome.” - Jen Pritchard Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Jen Pritchard: LinkedIn
- Finding your Path: The Roadmap from Student to Successful Financial Planner by Caleb Brown
Download your free copy of the New Planner Career Roadmap! In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Get the Full Episode Transcript: