Grace Moore is a Private Wealth Advisor in Washington D.C. She stops by the show today to discuss her journey to becoming a financial planner, including how she was able to secure an internship at a financial planning career day—without having taken any financial planning classes.
Listen in as Grace talks about what it was like to join a two-person RIA firm, as well as how she overcame the challenges she faced along the way. You'll learn how she grew in her role and developed into a solid associate financial planner during her tenure there, why she left to join a larger RIA firm, and how she navigated some of the hurdles with joining a larger organization.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Grace got started in financial planning. (2:29)
- How she got hired without any experience under her belt. (4:45)
- Her experience at a small firm and as a new advisor. (7:25)
- Advice for new planners entering into the field and getting more experience. (11:52)
- The case for paperwork and the role it plays. (16:25)
- What to keep in mind when transitioning between firms. (20:32)
- The unique role Grace plays at her new firm. (23:07)
- The most valuable advice she has heard about the field. (29:30)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“Yes, the background and education is important, but hiring someone who’s a great fit, who you can teach the skills along the way, is the way to go.” - Grace Moore Click To Tweet “As you start to get reps under your belt, learn to anticipate and add value wherever you can.” - Grace Moore Click To Tweet “A lot of the tasks you do straight out of school will not be sitting in front of clients giving incredible life advice. You’re doing a lot of the nitty-gritty day-to-day tasks. But it’s so important and will teach you so many skills.”… Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Grace Moore: LinkedIn
- Blue Trust
- Finding your Path: The Roadmap from Student to Successful Financial Planner by Caleb Brown
Download your free copy of the New Planner Career Roadmap! In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Get the Full Episode Transcript: