Today we have Ryan Huey and Franklin Matute of Roserock Wealth Management, based out of Dallas, TX, joining the show. They discuss how they found financial planning early on, starting their careers right out of college. If you are a soon-to-be new college grad beginning your financial planning career, this is an episode you won’t want to miss!
Listen in as Ryan and Franklin recount their journey through the financial planning landscape, from directly after college to when their paths converged at Roserock five years ago. Ryan details his 18-year tenure at a firm where a personal connection blossomed into a fulfilling career, his reasons for departing to establish his own firm, and why Franklin was his top choice hire for the new venture. Franklin opens up about his transitions from a mid-size to a large RIA before taking the leap to join Ryan, his methods for building client confidence, and his rationale for moving to a startup environment.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Ryan got into the financial planning profession. (2:15)
- How Franklin started in financial planning. (6:20)
- How new planners can find great fits right out of college. (9:30)
- How Ryan and Franklin built confidence early in their careers. (11:45)
- The benefits of having mentors. (17:15)
- When the partner discussions started and launching a new firm. (19:00)
- Why Ryan brought Franklin on board. (26:30)
- The ways in which Franklin has grown as a financial planner. (30:25)
- What their current service model looks like. (33:40)
- What Ryan and Franklin are up to next. (39:30)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“I did an internship and just fell in love with it.” - Ryan Huey Click To Tweet “I was mesmerized from day one and loved what it entailed.” - Franklin Matute Click To Tweet “I help service members and their families better their financial lives.” - Franklin Matute Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Ryan Huey: LinkedIn
- Franklin Matute: LinkedIn
- Finding your Path: The Roadmap from Student to Successful Financial Planner by Caleb Brown
Download your free copy of the New Planner Career Roadmap! In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.