Tanner Merritt is a Financial Counselor with Zeiders Enterprises, and he joins the show today to discuss his path into the financial planning profession. Starting with his transition after 6 years in the Army to majoring in Natural Resource Management, he ultimately made his way to financial counseling for the military.
Listen in as Tanner dives into the reasons for his transition, discussing the intricacies of his role, potential salary ranges, career trajectories, and strategies to combat financial stigmas within the military community. You'll hear about his journey from persisting with his major to pursuing a graduate degree, landing an internship with a small RIA, and subsequently joining a large financial services firm. He also gives invaluable tips for budding planners to enhance their marketability.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- Tanner’s journey into financial planning. (2:10)
- His experience at Vanguard in the Financial Advisor Development Program. (7:30)
- Why he left Vanguard to pursue other opportunities. (9:50)
- What he does as a personal financial counselor. (11:30)
- The career trajectory as a financial counselor. (19:45)
- Tanner’s tips for new planners. (22:50)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“Going from studying to having your own clients in two years was pretty interesting.” - Tanner Merritt Click To Tweet “Wherever there is a military base, there is probably a PFC position.” - Tanner Merritt Click To Tweet “I help service members and their families better their financial lives.” - Tanner Merritt Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Tanner Merritt: LinkedIn
- Finding your Path: The Roadmap from Student to Successful Financial Planner by Caleb Brown
Download your free copy of the New Planner Career Roadmap! In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.