Betty Wang is the Founder and Owner of BW Financial Planning in Denver, Colorado. She joins the show today to discuss why she pursued a career in financial planning, how she secured multiple internships while in school, and the reasons she chose not to join a financial planning firm after graduation (instead opting for the institutional side of the business).
Listen as Betty shares the keys to succeeding in corporate environments, as well as why she left corporate America. You'll learn what it was like for her as she re-entered the workforce after starting a family, why she was not able to find a fit, and the challenges of starting and growing her own financial planning firm to create the flexibility she needed in her life.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Betty found her interest in finance. (2:10)
- What changed and developed her unique perspective on financial planning. (4.24)
- How she got two valuable internships. (6:12)
- What she was looking for in a firm and her issues finding the right fit. (12:20)
- What she did when she realized joining a firm wasn’t for her. (16:00)
- Her struggle with bringing in clients and growth. (21:23)
- Making the income jump from corporate to entrepreneurship. (23:39)
- Betty's best advice for those who want to change careers or join a firm. (29:00)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“The process of trying to figure out how to live on one salary and how to be able to afford for me to stay home with our son … changed my perspective on the profession and how I wanted to help people work through those transitions.”-… Click To Tweet “I wanted to be useful. I didn’t want to be away from my family or take time away from my life if I did not feel useful.”- Betty Wang Click To Tweet “I was meeting a lot of women who were super smart and super accomplished but were afraid of money, afraid of markets, afraid of investments, and that just made me mad.”- Betty Wang Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Betty Wang: Website | LinkedIn
- Caleb Brown: LinkedIn | Twitter
- New Planner Recruiting, LLC on YouTube
- RIA Biz
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.