Dawn Torres-Gale is a Client Services Manager at Compass Planning Associates based out of Westport, MA, and she joins the show today to discuss her journey of becoming a financial planner. If you are seeking a firm that has a unique structure, this is an episode you won’t want to miss!
Join us as Dawn reveals her unique journey from conflict resolution within the military to becoming a financial planner, spurred by service members' need for advanced financial guidance. Learn about her transition from a reluctant private sector career to a part-time virtual paraplanner, supported by invaluable mentorship from her first employer. Finally, she explores her successful search for firms not managing assets, and the factors contributing to her finding the perfect fit at her current firm.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Dawn first got interested in financial planning. (2:00)
- Why she looked for a fee-only and non-AUM role. (13:00)
- How she got used to working remotely. (15:15)
- What makes her current firm so great. (18:00)
- Tips for career changers. (21:00)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“Personal finance found me—I wasn’t looking for it. ” - Dawn Torres-Gale Click To Tweet “I had never thought of personal finance as a career.” - Dawn Torres-Gale Click To Tweet “Ultimately, people should own their own implementation.” - Dawn Torres-Gale Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Dawn Torres-Gale: LinkedIn
- Compass Planning Associates
- Hiring Our Heroes
- Center For Military and Veterans Affairs
- Finding your Path: The Roadmap from Student to Successful Financial Planner by Caleb Brown and Hannah Moore
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Get the Full Episode Transcript: