Patrick Yaghoobians is an Associate Advisor at Horst & Graben Wealth Management, and he stops by the show today to share his story of becoming a financial planner. If you are in the wirehouse channel but desire a more independent and planning-centric approach, this is an episode for you!
Listen in as Patrick opens up about his journey to becoming a financial planner, from his earliest memory of money when his parents immigrated from Canada to what eventually led him to pursue a career in finance. We also discuss how he found an internship during his last semester in college, how a mistake he made during the internship helped shape his career, and what led to a full-time offer. Patrick also shares how he bounced back after a job offer at an RIA was rescinded during the pandemic and how he ultimately found a good fit with his current firm.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Patrick got started in financial planning. (2:00)
- Why he took an unpaid internship. (8:00)
- One of the biggest mistakes he made in his internship. (12:00)
- How his internship differed from his full-time role. (14:30)
- Patrick’s advice for planners who want to take more of a leadership role. (17:30)
- What he does at his current firm. (20:40)
- Tips for new planners. (24:55)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“My parents instilled in me the value of money and not taking it for granted.” - Patrick Yaghoobians Click To Tweet “Sometimes you do have to think outside the box to put yourself in a position to succeed.” - Patrick Yaghoobians Click To Tweet “Nothing changes if nothing changes.” - Patrick Yaghoobians Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Patrick Yaghoobians: LinkedIn
- Ep #17: Pursuing a Career in Academia While Running Your Own Firm with Inga Timmerman
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below:
Enjoy the show? Use the Links Below to Subscribe: