Devoda Owens is an Analyst with Linscomb and Williams based out of Houston, TX. He stops by the show today to share how he recently passed the CFP exam and tips for anyone looking to do the same. If you are not sure of what your path to a career in financial planning might look like, this is an episode you won’t want to miss!
Listen in as Devoda opens up about his experience passing the CFP exam and offers advice for others who plan to take it, as well. We also discuss Devoda’s personal journey, including how his college and military experiences shaped his career path, the challenges he faced starting his career, and his plans for the future.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Devoda prepared for the CFP exam. (2:20)
- How he handled questions he wasn’t sure of during the exam. (6:00)
- Why Devoda took the CFP. (7:30)
- His career path to financial planning. (13:20)
- How he secured an internship at Morgan Stanley. (16:30)
- Devoda’s experience with his current firm. (22:30)
- What’s next for Devoda. (25:00)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“I’m most successful when I write it down.” - Devoda Owens Click To Tweet “The CFP can elevate my career.’” - Devoda Owens Click To Tweet “If you're the type of person who doesn’t know what they want in life, the military will definitely instill that into you.” - Devoda Owens Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.