Brittany Schultz, Director of Investment Research and Operations, and Michelle Kuehner, President at Personal Money Planning, both join the show today to discuss their unique paths into the financial planning profession. They share how they transitioned out of banking careers, why they believe financial planning was a better fit for them, and how they overcame the challenges often associated with a career change.
Listen in as Michelle explains how she developed her skills as an advisor, as well as how she became the Generation 2 succession plan for the founder. Brittany opens up about what it was like joining a small RIA firm, what she feels she needs to work on to continue progressing, and how she is being groomed to become a generation 3 owner. Both also talk about what flexibility means in their firm, how to develop communication skills to be successful, and their tips for new planners.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Michelle got involved in the financial industry. (3:07)
- Why she took a job with less pay and fewer benefits to get into the financial planning industry. (7:00)
- What she enjoyed most about transitioning out of a banking position. (11:00)
- How Brittany transitioned out of banking and into financial planning. (15:00)
- What her position with Personal Money Planning looks like. (19:00)
- The biggest challenges Brittany and Michelle faced as they transitioned into financial planning. (22:00)
- How Brittany is overcoming her nerves when it comes to meetings with clients. (29:00)
- How she is being groomed to become a generation 3 owner. (32:00)
- How financial planning can provide more flexibility. (35:00)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“Financial planning keeps it interesting. There is always a unique situation that comes up.” - Michelle Kuehner Click To Tweet “In the financial planning industry, things are always changing.’” - Brittany Schultz Click To Tweet “90% of financial planning is people skills and being able to talk, communicate, and connect with someone. It’s not running numbers—you have computers that do that stuff.” - Michelle Kuehner Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.