Today we have two special guests from Omega Wealth Management in Arlington, VA: Lisa Kirchenbauer, Founder and President, as well as Jared Jones, Lead Advisor and Director of Investments. In this episode, Lisa discusses starting her own firm in 1999 under the broker-dealer model, eventually transitioning to a fee-only RIA so she could provide financial planning services the way she truly wanted to. You will also hear Jared touch on how he secured a position at Omega, as well as several of the core values of the firm, specifically focusing on the important balance between emotional intelligence and technical intelligence.
Listen in as Lisa describes some of the causes for turnover at the firm prior to hiring Jared and how she changed her mindset, and improved her managerial skillset to ensure her team is fully aligned with her vision. If you are curious about a life planning approach to financial planning with your clients, or you are looking for a way to create a more meaningful relationship with your clients, this is the episode for you.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- What it was like starting up a firm in 1999. (2:40)
- How Lisa improved her management skills. (4:52)
- Jared’s background and career thus far. (7:25)
- What financial life planning is. (11:03)
- The exercises clients go through during the onboarding process.(14:22)
- Jared's growth since he started with the firm. (20:02)
- How Jared got to a place where he is confident in his advice. (30:38)
- What needs to happen for Lisa to step back and be less involved in client meetings. (36:08)
- What characteristics they look for when hiring for Omega. (43:42)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“It’s future-looking, not past-looking.” - Lisa Kirchenbauer Click To Tweet “I want to be surrounded by smart curious people. That’s one of our values.” - Lisa Kirchenbauer Click To Tweet “I think what really sets advisors apart from being a good advisor to a great advisor is relating to the client and actually having them implement your advice.” - Jared Jones Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Lisa Kirchenbauer: LinkedIn | Omega Wealth
- Jared Jones: LinkedIn | Omega Wealth
- Caleb Brown: LinkedIn | Twitter
- Omega Wealth Management
- Kinder Institute
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.