Chloé Moore is the founder of Financial Staples, where she focuses on making financial planning and guidance accessible to the busy young professional. She has been speaking at Caleb's financial classes for several years now, and with over 15 years of experience in the financial services industry, she really knows her stuff. Today she joins the show to share her journey into the career path she has carved out for herself, including her college experience and the initial interview process for securing her first position.
Listen in as Chloé gives career seekers and entrepreneurs advice on starting out in the industry and opens up about what she would have done differently in her first job search. You will learn the obstacles she faced as a young woman of color and the negative experience that pushed her to publish a piece about racism in the office. If you feel like you are stuck in your career and need a boost, this is the episode for you.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Chloé started her college career. (2:49)
- Her advice for new financial planners. (4:50)
- What the interview process was like for her to secure her first position. (7:58)
- Her starting salary. (9:35)
- What she would have done differently in the first job search. (11:25)
- The biggest takeaways from her time at a trust company. (17:25)
- What it was like being a woman of color in the financial industry. (19:15)
- What pushed Chloé to publish a piece about racism in the office. (20:50)
- How we can diversify the financial industry. (23:43)
- The importance of learning as much as you can before committing to a role. (31:00)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“Solving this problem with diversity within financial services is super complex, and it is going to have to be attacked by so many different angles, and there is no simple solution.” - Chloé Moore Click To Tweet “It’s not just bringing the people in, but making them feel comfortable and making them feel included.” - Chloé Moore Click To Tweet “It takes time to grow your career and build your business, so keep working hard, being consistent, and being true to who you are.” - Chloé Moore Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Chloé Moore: LinkedIn
- Caleb Brown: LinkedIn | Twitter
- “Office Race: Truths About Being a Black Woman in Wealth Management” by Chloe Moore
- Financial Staples
- New Planner Recruiting
- Successful Hiring for Financial Planners: The Human Capital Advantage by Caleb Brown
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.