The end of the year is a great time to start thinking about your successes and areas of improvement from the last year. The best way to continue to build upon your successes and recover from your mistakes is to utilize every asset at your disposal. This includes encouragement and advice from your mentors, feedback and new ideas from your network, and often your own hard work and determination. To continue to improve, you need to be at the top of your game in 2018.
Here is a list of New Year’s resolutions to help you set the stage for another great year.
- Hustle – even when you don’t have to. Focus on finding a good long-term fit with a firm instead of settling for a mediocre position simply because the salary and benefits are higher.
- Express gratitude. Send thank you emails after job interviews and networking meetings.
- Find a mentor.
- Get involved. Join FPA NexGen or NAPFA Genesis. Don’t have a chapter near you? Start one.
- Be impressive. Go above and beyond the minimum requirements for your position. You will learn more, and you’ll prove yourself to your firm owner
- Audit your social media. Review what can be seen by the public and what can be seen by friends. Delete pictures and posts that don’t reflect positively on your character.
- Better yourself. Get the CFP® or other designations, read industry publications, learn about new technology, ask for feedback.
- Be open. Share your goals, hesitations, and fears with your firm owner. Let them know what is going well and what isn’t.
Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, and Happy New Year!