Matt Garasic is the Founder of Unrivaled Wealth Management based out of Pittsburgh, PA, and he joins the show today to discuss how he found his way to financial planning—despite thinking it was only insurance sales. If you feel stuck and need someone to take a chance on you, even if you might not have the level of experience they are looking for, then this is an episode for you!
Listen in as Matt shares his unique journey from an initial pursuit in Petroleum Geology to becoming a financial planning expert, highlighting his early internship experiences and the critical career decisions that shaped his path. We also discuss the challenges and opportunities he encountered in his early roles, his strategic move to a large RIA in Florida, and the invaluable lessons he picked up while working with ultra-high-net-worth clients at a young age. Finally, he reveals why he decided to establish his own firm and the obstacles he's tackled along the way.
What You'll Learn In Today's Episode:
- How Matt got started in financial planning. (2:00)
- His experience with internships. (7:55)
- Why he relocated to Florida to build out the financial planning department for a large RIA. (13:15)
- Why Matt started his own firm. (17:20)
- The biggest thing he underestimated. (22:45)
Ideas Worth Sharing:“I’m not sure how I ended up with such an interest in taxes.” - Matt Garasic Click To Tweet “They took a chance on me and it worked out great for both sides.” - Matt Garasic Click To Tweet “Make sure that you’re not burning bridges and you’re keeping those relationships.” - Matt Garasic Click To Tweet
Resources In Today's Episode:
- Matt Garasic: Website | LinkedIn
- Finding your Path: The Roadmap from Student to Successful Financial Planner by Caleb Brown
In this roadmap, you'll be guided through the details of various stages of your financial planner career, including position descriptions, licensing, skill and experience level requirements, and compensation ranges.
Get the Full Episode Transcript: